Draft License Plate Designs

• 13 Replies

Juliet Rynear

• Administrator
  • Executive Director
on: June 24, 2020, 02:27:53 PM
Please review the attached 6 designs and the notes from Marjorie and then give your feedback by replying to this post.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:44:28 PM by Shirley Denton »
Executive Director

Marlene Rodak

• FNPS members
  • Conference Committee Chair
  • 2014 Conference Chair
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 02:44:19 PM
I'm trying to look at this from a general population aspect. The Florida Native works well. I love it! I think as far as eye appeal, the pine lily is going to be the most colorful and appealing choice -- although we all know that native plants aren't colorful, right?? The ghost orchid would attract the "garden clubbers/orchid collectors."

Anyway, those are my comments ... aside from not seeing seagrapes. Ha. As long as Kara doesn't get milkweed, I'm okay not getting Coccoloba. Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Hmmmmm ... I bet a lupine would look GREAT!!

Juliet Rynear

• Administrator
  • Executive Director
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 03:28:17 PM

Here are comments from Sue Mullins:

Dang, these are good!  What a talent Marjorie is! 

We should huddle as a group to discuss, but my initial reaction is that we need to choose one (maybe a mash-up of two of these) that includes a full background so it really resembles camouflage, but with the orchid or lily accentuated like she has it.  Also, probably need more pine needles, oak-leafy background to get us there.

What a great fortune it is to have Marjorie on our team!

Sue
Executive Director

Grace Howell

• Board of Directors
  • Land Management Partners
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 03:49:37 PM
I like the design balance on #1 and #2, and the Butterfly orchid design best (for colors & balance of graphics). I also like the ghost orchid but I don't like all of the bold elements only on the left... it feels lopsided to me.
Very nice design for "camo"...  I was imagining something else, lol!
Grace

Eugene Kelly

• Board of Directors
  • Policy Committee Chair
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 05:22:58 PM
I looked at the designs before reading Marjorie's notes, and my first reaction is that I agree with her about weighting the image by placing the most prominent design elements on the left end of the plate.  While centered is obviously more symmetrical, it makes it difficult to create a "theme" because there isn't enough contiguous space.   The Conserve Wildlife plate I currently have is a good case in point.  The bear, the most prominent element, is on the left and I don't think it would work if the bear were centered.  For one thing, I don't think we want the text of the plate number covering a focal element, and the text will certainly extend across the very center of the plate.  I also agree with Marjorie about the pine lily; I was an initial proponent of including a pine lily, but the orchids fit better with the idea of an FNPS camo theme than the colors of the lily.   And as beautiful as the ghost orchid is, the butterfly orchid will be more recognizable to more people; some non--native plant people might even think the ghost orchid is invented.  Last thought, I also concur with Sue's suggestion about trying to incorporate some pine needles - even dried brown ones if that works - and/or oak leaves to more fully accentuate the "camo", while still allowing identifiable plants to be distinguish by we insiders.  That is important to the final product!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:26:54 PM by Eugene Kelly »

Jim Erwin

• Board of Directors
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 11:38:11 PM
Well, this is fun.  I like the first one, and the Pine Lily one.  Random thoughts:  We hope to sell these to people who may say "what is that bean thing? " and to guys who might not want a flower on their truck, could the palmetto dominate the whole plate somehow with one flower on the left, is clutter a danger?, I'm trying to think of seeing these from 20 feet away, I have absolutely no visual design skill.  THANK YOU MARJORIE.

Jackie Rolly

• Board of Directors
  • Secretary
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 06:22:47 PM
I like both the Ghost Orchid and the Pine Lily.  But any of them will work.
Jackie

Bonnie Basham

• Board of Directors
  • FNPS President
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 06:21:44 PM
Of all of these, I like the next to the last one. It is the closest to "camo" that there is in this bunch.
I agree with Sue - we need to combine at least a couple of these.
In my world, "camo" means indistinguishable shapes of various tones of a few colors. 
Part of the next to the last one would fit that concept.
I do not believe there should be orchids or pine lilies or distinguishable flowers. 
I agree with Jim that may be too much for lots of guys to be willing to put on their truck.
I am not certain what the long curved image is supposed to represent. Is it a Mangrove seed pod?
We are required to sell 3,000 of these in order to be able to get the plate into production and then the same number, either as renewals or new plates, every year thereafter.  Thus, we must market this plate to a wider audience than FNPS members.

I've spoken with Sue and she indicates she will work with Marjorie to come up with a more truly camo-type design.
Bonnie
Bonnie Basham

Gary Babic

• Chapter Council
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 08:25:44 PM
A perspective to consider for the design elements is that Florida has its very own endemic bird, the Florida Scrub-Jay. What better to be our state bird? But it is in fact the Northern Mockingbird, a common bird everyone has seen and can probably identify. The jay would be of interest to only those few who know it. So I think we need to follow the same logic for the plates. Ghost orchid, etc., would simply look like pretty flowers to many of the people we need to buy the plates. Not sure where to find the balance since some obvious candidates have already been claimed by other organization's plates.   

Paul Rebmann

• Administrator
    • Wild Florida Photo
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 08:21:52 AM
As presented here, my favorite is the Butterfly orchid.  I think butterfly orchid is a better choice than ghost orchid, since the ghost orchid is so restricted, and although very recognizable few people can go out and see then.  I would go for Pine Lily, but I think it also needs a pine cone and needles (and keeping the frond and acorns).

Paul Rebmann
Visit www.wildflphoto.com  to see photos of plants, animals and more in Florida.

Shirley Denton

• Administrator
  • Communications Committee Chair
    • www.ShirleyDenton.com
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 06:07:29 PM
My favorite is the butterfly orchid. 

But most are nice in one way or another.

I do have a concern about several of them -- one seemed to need a shortened license tag number -- is that legit?

Is there a standard for contrast between the number and the background -- a couple of them looked like they might be hard to read.
Shirley Denton

David Martin

• Board of Directors
Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 07:52:30 AM
Marjorie's sketches are a great start.  I think the color schemes are in the right direction.   I concur that graphic to the left looks better than centered.

We need to be concerned about color and contrast for numbers and text.  FLORIDA will be visible (I think mandatory size and font?) and NATIVE needs to coordinate with it so the two tie together.

The bill's command to do camouflage is a good one.  It'll be unique.  I just bought a camo necktie, no idea if I'll ever use it.  Maybe in Jacksonville next year?

In terms of recognizable native plants, saw palmetto has the pre-eminent leaf and its range is reasonably close to the state's political borders.  And where else in the world has natural lawns of palms?  It's hard to do Sabal palmetto except as a whole-tree silhouette, and that gets South Carolinian, and not at all camo.  Possibly a flaming orange sea grape leaf could fit in?  I admire lupines, but how many of us see them? 

Thinking of flowers, we have loads of Hymenocallis, some familiar to boaters.

Butterfly orchids are kind of shy, but outdoor people associate them with live oaks.   

A good design will be readable from other moving vehicles but might have a few surprises for closer up.

We will need a website sales page to link to the Dept of Motor Vehicles license plate selection site.  I looked at several.  Some are good, others pretty dull.  I'd like a one-page prospectus for what the plate will fund (mandatory), a guide to each item on the plate, and a link to the broader FNPS.   

Juliet Rynear

• Administrator
  • Executive Director
Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 07:06:48 PM

I viewed these up close and from a distance.  The Pine Lily doesn't hold up from a distance but both the Orchids do - the white really contrasts with the background.

My favorite is #2 Butterfly Orchid; however, the camouflage on the right is not camo enough.  I prefer the camo on #5.  If we could use that as the background for #2 I think that would be a good fit for our goals.

I don't think we should include the Mangrove seed in our final choice.  It's hard to recognize and too phallic for a plate
Executive Director

David Martin

• Board of Directors
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 03:13:40 PM
I expect Marjorie will come up with a camo license plate that appeals to the pickup and perhaps turkey hunting folks (Hurley, the surfing brand that Nike recently sold off is now selling Real TreeŽ board shorts and shirts).  I think we can be a bit lighter and brighter than national brands.  We're Florida, of course. 

I'm sure lettering colors have been looked into.  I am guessing that white lettering will be all but essential.  FLORIDA at the top of course, NATIVE at the bottom.  Very fortunate that we don't seem to need any other text, slogans, whatnot. 

Not sure that we'll end up with a flower.